The James Webb Telescope saw about 25,000 galaxies in a single image more than previously seen nearly 10,000 galaxies by the Hubble space telescope.
The snapshot of the Hubble Telescope is known as Hubble Ultra Deep Field.
Surpassing the record, James Webb has been able to capture a much deeper image. Data received so far only captures 4%, but already has 25,000 galaxies.
Excited to share the first JWST imaging from COSMOS-Web (@cosmosastro). We have only 4% of our data, yet already have images over 25,000 galaxies (!). Can’t wait for the other 96%!
If you want to scroll the full image, click through to the press release. 📸 https://t.co/QxLH4TGpkb
— Dr. Caitlin Casey (@astrocaits) March 9, 2023
In a statement, Caitlin Casey, an astronomer at the University of Texas at Austin co-leading the study, said, “It’s one of the largest JWST images taken so far.”
Regarding the inflow of more data, she further added, “when it is finished, this deep field will be astoundingly large and overwhelmingly beautiful.”