Security on high alert for Arshad Sharif's funeral prayer

Security around the Faisal Mosque in Islamabad was put on high alert on Thursday for the funeral prayers of slain journalist Arshad Sharif.

A heavy contingent of Islamabad Police and Frontier Corps has been deployed around the Mosque.

A total of 3, 792 security personnel are deployed around the mosque and three superintendents of police (SPs), five assistant superintendents of police (ASPs) and deputy superintendents police (DSPs) are supervising the security arrangements.

Two-hundred-and-four policemen of the Sindh Police and 2,500 FC personnel are also appointed to assist the Islamabad Police.

Additionally, six inspectors and 1,010 constables have been deployed for security around Faisal Mosque.

Read: Journalists question Kenyan police's claims about Arshad Sharif's killing

Funeral prayers

The funeral prayers of the senior journalist will be offered today at Faisal Mosque at 2 PM.

Attendees will be allowed to enter the funeral after being searched.

The body of Arshad Sharif has been shifted home from the hospital. The slain journalist will be buried in the H11 graveyard of the capital city.

Meanwhile Islamabad Express towards Faisal Mosque#ArshadSharif
— Zubair Ali Khan (@ZubairAlikhanUN) October 27, 2022

Earlier, the body of Sharif arrived at the Islamabad airport from Doha. Arshad’s wife had approached Ramna police station, which submitted her application to the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) Hospital for an autopsy.

An official at the PIMS Hospital said the anchorperson's post-mortem was conducted by an eight-member team of senior doctors.

Also read: Punjab Assembly seeks ‘judicial inquiry’ into Arshad Sharif’s killing

The senior journalist was shot dead in Kenya and received a hero's welcome as his body reached Pakistan from journalists, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leaders and a crowd of citizens that had come out to express their solidarity.

The murder

The 49-year-old journalist had fled the country in August to avoid arrest after he was slapped with multiple cases, including sedition charges over an interview with PTI leader Shahbaz Gill during which the latter had made controversial comments.

Alleging threats to his life, Sharif had moved to Dubai in August and later relocated to Kenya where he died after reportedly being shot.

Kenyan national police spokesman Bruno Shioso said the journalist was shot dead by an officer after his car drove through a police barrier. “It is then that they were shot at, fatally injuring late Arshad Mohammed Sharif,” he said.

The death of the journalist sent shock waves across rights organisations, the media fraternity and civil society and prompted calls for thorough investigation and disclosure of facts.

Several local and international journalists, including Kenyan media persons, and relevant personalities have raised questions about the Kenyan police's claims surrounding the killing.

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker